Move, copy and shortcut within Groups

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Move, copy and shortcut within Groups

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

Hello all!

I am new to MainType (I like it ALOT). What actually happens to my font when I move, or copy a font into a Group? I think I understand when I make a shortcut of it. Can I get multiple copies of the font onto my system this way?

Thanks!

Brother Gabriel-Marie
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A group is just a folder. Copying or moving a font to a group copies or moves the TTF file to the folder.

Creating a new group creates a new Sub-Folder in the folder for groups defined in Tools, Options, General, Groups.

You can have many copies of a font on your hard disk, but you cannot install more than copy.

If you have the "Include Sub-Folder" icon checked in the Browse, then MainType will show all of the font copies in the current folder tree.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

Okay, I figured out the answer I was looking for.
Unbeknowest it was to me that Windows will recognize a font which is saved in a non-Windows-Font-Folder location if you copy a shortcut into that Windows Font Folder!

I didn't know it!
That means that you could conceivably (without MainType) keep all your fonts in different folders in some non-Windows-Font Folder location and use all shortcuts into the Fonts Folder. Copying the shortcut into the Fonts Folder counts as installing the font. (Please correct me if I am wrong; I learn as I go). But MainType is the much easier way to go.

So then the "Groups" folders used by MainType are just normal folders not necessarily linked to MainType.

Thanks for the help!

Brother Gabriel-Marie