AutoNaming to support Medium

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fred Goldman

AutoNaming to support Medium

Post by Fred Goldman »

Currently AutoNaming picks up the information from the Metrics tab in the font settings. This limits the choices to Bold, Italic, etc. It would be nice if it looked at the Classification Weight in the General tab in the font settings, too. This way it would give options for Medium, Semi-Bold, etc.

In the meantime how should I set up the naming for a Medium font?
Fred
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

It Ain't Easy

Post by Dick Pape »

You have to come back after Autonaming and manually set the name... I'm sorry too. DPape
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Hi Dick,

I realized that, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to name it. I would like the medium font to part of the same font family. So far if I get it on Windows to be recognized as the same family it gives me an error on the Mac that it's a duplicate font, and when I try to avoid the Mac error I just end up getting it as a new font not part of the original family.
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Don't use the AutoNaming feature; it will only work for the default four font styles (Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic).

You need to manually change the Naming, Classification, Font Design, and Mac Style fields as shown here:

Macintosh Roman platform:

Macintosh Roman platform:

Microsoft Unicode BMP only platform:

Microsoft Unicode BMP only platform:

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Thank you, Erwin. These instructions were very good!
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad to know it helped.

Could you please post some screenshot, that show how the font is recognized on your Mac?

On Windows, Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) already use the "preferred" names. Also with the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) these will be used. For more information about the WPF font selection model:
http://blogs.msdn.com/text/archive/2007 ... model.aspx
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

I only use Windows, but these fonts are being used by Windows and Mac users. Unfortunately, because I don't own a Mac I only get to find out when there are problems :).

But I will try to get screenshots from the Mac users and post them here as soon as I can.
Fred