Font dimensions help!

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
emilhelset

Font dimensions help!

Post by emilhelset »

Hi,

I'm a programmer and I'm currently messing around and creating a mathematical formula editor. I have decided to go with the font Times New Roman.

My problem is that I want my fraction vinculum to align with the Times New Roman plus symbol's horizontal bar.

Of what I can figure from Font Creator, is that the top left corner of the bar is located at 722 design units above the baseline, and that the ascender has a height of 1825 design units.

However, when implementing this in my program, I get minor discrepancies (visual).

Of what I can figure, the height of the bar is 82/(1825 + 443) design units. This also gives me minor discrepancies.

What am I doing wrong here? Please help :)

Yours sincerely, Emil
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It might help if we knew what a "fraction vinculum" was.

The top of the horizontal bar of the plus sign in my version of Times New Roman is also at 722 funits above the baseline. Any minor visual discrepancies are likely to be caused by the lack of hinting. See the FAQ sticky thread at the top of the support forum.

If you do not see any discrepancy at large point sizes, then the lack of hinting at small sizes is the most likely reason.

Use the Comparison Toolbar (F11) to check alignment of your new glyph with the plus sign.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486