Evaluation Version Letter Editing

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Creed00

Evaluation Version Letter Editing

Post by Creed00 »

Hi,

I have the Evaluation/Trial version of FontCreator 5.6 which only lasts for 30 days, I can edit everything but when I click on a letter such as "A", I can't edit it. It's displayed in blue, by the way. Does that mean it can't be edited in the Evaluation Version?

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are no restrictions on the evaluation version. It is the full professional edition during the 30-day trial period.

The blue letter is shown in the empty grid squares until you create your only letters.

To create your own letters you either import a bitmap image, which is traced by FontCreator to create the character as a vector, or you can draw the shapes in the Glyph Edit Window with the Drawing tools. You can also drag some predefined shapes from the Samples Toolbar (F12) into the Glyph Edit window.

Try reading the section in the manual on creating glyphs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Evaluation Version Letter Editing

Post by Dave Crosby »

Creed00 wrote:Hi,

I have the Evaluation/Trial version of FontCreator 5.6 which only lasts for 30 days, I can edit everything but when I click on a letter such as "A", I can't edit it. It's displayed in blue, by the way. Does that mean it can't be edited in the Evaluation Version?

Thanks.
If the only screen change is that a letter turns blue, it means you have only selected it.

Double click the letter to open the letter Glyph editing window.

You have to draw, paste or drag contours (from Samples) into the window to be able to edit anything.

These contours (Dave57.ttf) were generated by Scanahand.
Last edited by Dave Crosby on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Creed00

Post by Creed00 »

OK, got it. One more thing, I accidentally pressed a key which causes the glyph editing window to expand to full size, how do I shrink it back?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is no key that does that as far as I know. However, if the overview window is maximized then the glyph edit window will also be maximized if you open it by pressing the Enter key.

You can close any Window with Control + F4 if you don't like to use the mouse on the Window control buttons.

Control + Tab is useful to switch between open windows.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Creed00

Post by Creed00 »

Whenever I upload an image (a drawn letter on an image editing program) and save the project as a font, there are spaces when I try it out. Is there anyway to fix the spaces? And BTW, the images are all 150 by height.

Creed00 :twisted:
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Whenever I upload an image (a drawn letter on an image editing program) and save the project as a font, there are spaces when I try it out. Is there anyway to fix the spaces?
What do you mean by spaces? The 4th (32) glyph in the font should be the empty "Space" glyph. The distance between the bearing lines determines the space between words.

Perhaps you are referring to the "white space" before (Bearing X) and/or after a character. You have full control of that by manually moving the Left and Right Bearings to wherever you want, or moving them for every glyph using Tools > Autometrics.

And BTW, the images are all 150 by height.
By "height" do you mean Bearing Y?
The size of the imported glyph can be adjusted by changing the import multiplier. Import Image > Glyph > Multiplier.

See: viewtopic.php?t=1884
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Creed00

Post by Creed00 »

Whenever I import an image for a glyph, it gets edited. For example, if I import a 0 with spikes, it turns into a "cracked" 0.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Is your bitmap the recommended size?

Are you using the super smooth option?

Try using the Smooth option or no smoothing option, and/or a higher resolution bitmap.
Creed00

Post by Creed00 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is your bitmap the recommended size?

Are you using the super smooth option?

Try using the Smooth option or no smoothing option, and/or a higher resolution bitmap.
Thanks. :) It worked.