Quickly Resizing Panels

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Garamond

Quickly Resizing Panels

Post by Garamond »

Great software, but it can always be better!

Sometimes you want to see more than what's visible inside an individual panel, in particular on a small laptop screen. And, to be honest, resizing individual panels with the mouse in MainType is a bit sluggish.

A feature that I've come to love in the Eclipse development platform is its ability to quickly maximize a separate panel by a simple double-click on the pane tab. Even better - a second double-click will restore the panel back to its original size and position.

Admittedly, most MainType panels doesn't have tabs, but there is a flat bar on top of each panel that would do just as well. Now, wouldn't that be a time saver?
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Spelling
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Quickly Resizing Panels

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Garamond wrote:Now, wouldn't that be a time saver?
It would, but doesn't it already do that? Try double-clicking on the Panel Title bars. After resizing, double-click to dock them again, and they remember their size when reopened.

You can also save five custom layouts.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated for MainType 8.0
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Garamond

Post by Garamond »

Well, yes and no. The problem is that the panel turns into a popup window, often obscuring other parts of the application that you might like to reach at the same time. If you in that situation move the popup window, it will automatically dock itself to the nearest panel and the layout might be inadvertently altered.

I would prefer that the panel would maximize itself within the work area (by which I mean the area where all other panels are located) and not be transformed into a popup window, hence not risking to obscure the toolbar or the menu and eventually possibly changing the layout. Having to manually (or through the View menu) adjust the layout back to what it was seems to me a bit awkward.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try pinning the panels.
Pinned Panel.png
Pinned Panel.png (50.72 KiB) Viewed 7603 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486