META-THREAD Unite several fonts into one combined font.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

META-THREAD Unite several fonts into one combined font.

Post by William »

I have been looking at the, thus far, one post in the "Unite several fonts into one combined font." thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2935

Although a TrueType Collection file is mentioned, I am wondering if the desired solution being described is a single TrueType font with various characters in various places in the regular Unicode map together with some special symbols and special letters that are not currently in regular Unicode mapped into the Unicode Private Use Area.

What do others think of the matter please?

William Overington

13 January 2010
LVManess@Comcast.net

Re: META-THREAD Unite several fonts into one combined font.

Post by LVManess@Comcast.net »

January 15th, 2,010

Dear Mr. Overington:

Thank you for your ideas, which are worth considering; however, as I wrote earlier today, the time necessary to code about 800 individual letters/symbols/characters/glyphs using this procedure is prohibitive. The Unicode private use area is an intriguing idea.

Coding into TrueType is very desirable for an intended international standard, for obvious reasons. It's ironic that some of the Beta-Testers dislike one or more of the font tables while liking all the others: unfortunately, the very same font that one tester considers superfluous, others consider very desirable! The same extends to individual letters and symbols. Notwithstanding, I believe that my font meets or exceeds the immediate needs of most professional geologists around the world, both for writing documents and for labelling maps (and GIS), etc.

The one thing that all Beta-Testers agree on, however, is that the present nine separate copyrighted & trademarked fonts (MIG Fonts 00-08) need to be united into one combined font. Regrettably, it is necessary under the present circumstances to issue version 1.00 of the font in nine parts. A single combined font will have to be a later version, perhaps version 1.01?

Thanks again,

Lindsey V. Maness, Jr.
Geologist
Geological Resources authority about China & East Asia. Author of copyrighted Maness International Geological (MIG) Font.
LVManess@Comcast.net

Re: META-THREAD Unite several fonts into one combined font.

Post by LVManess@Comcast.net »

January 16th, 2,010

Dear Mr. Overington:

I have been surfing over your comments and find that we apparently share an interest in math, statistics & logic and related computer applications.

Table 07 of my MIG Font is specifically that: Math-Stat-Logic. One of the major purposes of my other font tables is to eliminate, or to at least minimize, ambiguity, a goal that directly supports Math-Stat-Logic. For one of many examples a hyphen should be a different symbol, with clearly different meanings, from a minus sign: my font has this specific, very desirable, feature.

Insofar as embedding the ability for individual characters in a font to invoke specific programming, yes, this has much potential -- both for good and for malware.

If you will send me your E-Mail address, I will send you an explanation of my font and its underlying rationale, along with the letters, numbers, symbols, characters, glyphs, etc., in each font. While my MIG Font is specifically designed for international geologists, I am sure it will find usage in other scientific disciplines, as well.

Perhaps we will find it mutually advantageous to collaborate on font symbology, etc.?

Regards,

Lindsey V. Maness, Jr., Geologist
LVManess@Comcast.net
Tel: 303-237-6590 Cell: 303-717-1020
Geological Resources authority about China & East Asia. Author of copyrighted Maness International Geological (MIG) Font.