Moving Origin

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ThorstenSt

Moving Origin

Post by ThorstenSt »

Hi,

i have a problem. I am using a font containing symbols. These symbols have their insertion-point on the main origin. But the symbols are greater then the bottom-border. So my question is, if it is possible to move the main origin in any way.

greetings Thorsten
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

To change the top and bottom metrics; select Settings from the Format menu to open the Font Settings window and select the Windows page. Here you can change the Win Ascent (Top) and Win Descent (Bottom).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ThorstenSt

Post by ThorstenSt »

hi,

thank you very much. This is exactly what i was looking for.

greetings Thorsten
saim777

move origin of rotation?

Post by saim777 »

I am using FC5.0 to modify/expand existing font. This font contains symbols/glyphs I am using in a GIS. GIS has a point data layer with various types of valves which I want to categorically symbolize.
My problem is I cannot modify the origin of rotation. I tried metrics, adv width, basically every post containing changing the origin. My Glyph bounds are 0,0 by x,y and I either want the anchor point or rotation point to be 0,0 (bottom left) or (x/2 - bottom center) or x,0. And I would like all of these symbols with different types of anchor points in one font. Can this be done? Ideally, in contour mode, I would do ctrl-A to select all and rightclick on "one of the four little boxes located at the corners of the selection" and define this point as the anchor point/ point of rotation.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try this Glyph Transformation

Metrics Width = 0
Metrics = Centre Glyph
Metrics = Left Side-bearing at x = 0

Then if the symbols are fixed width

Metrics Width = desired width, right side only for a fixed width font

If the glyphs are proportional widths, before you start, you have to select all, copy the glyphs (with their metrics), then paste special (Ctrl E) after the first glyph transformation, to paste back just the metrics.

Backup your font of course before trying this. It might not work, and I'm not too sure it will give the result that you want.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I'll give it a shot. Taken from the user manual:
Rotate selected contours
You can rotate by first selecting a contour (or more) and then select it again (don't double-click). The little rectangles on the corners have changed into circles. These can be used to rotate the selected contour(s). The other four rectangles are used to skew the selection. To change the origin for the rotation you can move the little cross in the middle of your selection.

You can also use the Transform toolbar to rotate contours.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
saim777

Post by saim777 »

Erwin: good idea but no cigar. helaas! Effect temporary and only in FC5. Besides, rotation will not occur in FC5. GIS contains point features which will be replaced by symbols in my font. In GIS, geographic rotation angle of symbols are defined by values in associated database field. All I need to do is to adjust the (anchor) point of rotation.
BP, I ran your transformation, and test glyph transformed horizontally. In GIS, anchor point is still center, center whether I transformed or not. In GIS I can do a XY shift of symbol but I want to avoid that because it messes up my map legend.
I just need to adjust the point of rotation from maxX/2, maxY/2 ( or center, center) to any other area. That's why I suggested rightclicking on selection box and setting that box as rotation point. It would be the same as mirroring, flipping or rotating off center at a user defined point. Symbol looks great in GIS - transformation of glyph not necessary, transformation of anchor point is. make sense?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I still want that cigar, so here is another attempt: This is beyond the scope of the TrueType font specification, you might need to contact the GIS support center.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
saim777

Post by saim777 »

hmmm, bummer. no cigar then. Is the rotation point fixed relative to the glyph? So if I move the glyph, can I keep the the rotation point at say 900,900? Would there be a way of doing it anyway whether it's in or outside the ttf specs :?: Just in case, I still got that cigar...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am assuming that the rotation point is fixed at 0,0 — hence my attempt to centre all glyphs on the y-axis. It should be possible to centre them on the x-axis too if necessary.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486