Looking for InDesign plugin

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
-prh

Looking for InDesign plugin

Post by -prh »

I'm looking for these plugins:
  • Adobe InDesign CC 2014
    Adobe Illustrator CC 2014
    Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
When will they be available?

Peter
Erwin Denissen

Re: Looking for InDesign plugin

Post by Erwin Denissen »

They are on the to-do list, but it seems not many people are in need of these, so we're not sure if and when we will add those.

Of course right now you can already install fonts through MainType, which will become immediately available in your Adobe (and any other) software.

If others read this post and want specific plug-ins (or have other feature requests), do let us know!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

I think the issue here is one of workflow. When you open a doc in an Adobe app, missing fonts are noted and you are requested to "find" them. If you leave the app and install the missing font through MainType, the font is available to the system, but you have to reopen the Adobe doc. Otherwise your text reflows.
Tom De Smet

Post by Tom De Smet »

I would like this plugin too. We're looking for a new font manager for our company and this one (allthough the look is a bit outdated) does a lot of things other don't do. Especially the font previewing on servers is something we're thrilled about.

But before we buy a bunch of licenses for all our employees I would like to know that this software is still in active development?
We use mainly Photoshop and Indesign here.

Best regards
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Of course it is still in development. The last major release is only 5 months old! It contains several powerful new features like tagging, and synchronized font folders.

For several reasons we put a hold on writing new plug-ins. Things might change in the future, but hopefully MainType has enough advantages to accept this for now.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
suechastain

Post by suechastain »

Erwin Denissen wrote:They are on the to-do list, but it seems not many people are in need of these, so we're not sure if and when we will add those.

If others read this post and want specific plug-ins (or have other feature requests), do let us know!
I have registered for the forum just to respond to this. How do you know not many people are in need? Do you know how many people may have looked at the software and passed it up because it is not listed as a feature? I know I did, several times, until I tried about five competitors and found them all deficient. But I don't think I can justify the higher price without Adobe activation plugins.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I sometimes wonder if there would be a market for a MainType plugin for Serif PagePlus.

If I open a publication with a missing font in PagePlus X9, I just launch MainType, find the font and install it, then switch back to PagePlus.

While it might be nice to do it from the Fonts Tab in PagePlus as we used to be able to do with another font manager, I don't know how many users would find it useful enough to buy MainType. Serif no longer support the plugin or sell the Font Manager
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

The idea of the plug-ins is that as long as the missing font(s) are available to the font manager with a plug-in, they are installed automatically with no user intervention required.

That said, while I have used plug-ins with ID using another font manager or two, I don't use them. In a hustle and bustle shop where many files are opened throughout the day, having the plug-in installed and active does save a lot of time and hassle. But they are not necessarily fool-proof either.

I handle missing fonts manually as Pesala does. That works for me and my work-flow as I am not opening and closing a lot of files throughout any given day.
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

suechastain wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:They are on the to-do list, but it seems not many people are in need of these, so we're not sure if and when we will add those.

I have registered for the forum just to respond to this. How do you know not many people are in need? Do you know how many people may have looked at the software and passed it up because it is not listed as a feature? I know I did, several times, until I tried about five competitors and found them all deficient. But I don't think I can justify the higher price without Adobe activation plugins.

I 100% agree. I am looking at other software that DOES provide plugins for Adobe CC. That is the only feature that is moving me away from High-Logic. It's a time saving feature that may make a huge difference as to what people choose to purchase or look into for the future.
PenSigns

Post by PenSigns »

Ethos wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:20 pm
suechastain wrote:

I 100% agree. I am looking at other software that DOES provide plugins for Adobe CC. That is the only feature that is moving me away from High-Logic. It's a time saving feature that may make a huge difference as to what people choose to purchase or look into for the future.
I too agree 100%. I've had your trial version on my station for a couple of years now, waiting for autoactivation with Illustrator (we are using CS6). It is the ONLY reason why we have not purchased MainType. How many others are doing the same? We use Nexus, an inferior font management software in my opinion, but it auto-activates with Illustrator.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

PenSigns wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 am I too agree 100%. I've had your trial version on my station for a couple of years now, waiting for autoactivation with Illustrator (we are using CS6). It is the ONLY reason why we have not purchased MainType. How many others are doing the same? We use Nexus, an inferior font management software in my opinion, but it auto-activates with Illustrator.
MainType has plugins for Adobe Illustrator up to CC 2015. Expect to see them for more current releases of InDesign soon, as we are about to release MainType 8 within a couple of weeks.

It seems you are mixing a "auto activate missing fonts plugin" with "auto activate all listed fonts". Based on other feedback we've received over the years, it seems more people are confused about this, so let me try to explain the difference.

Concerning what Nexus does. It doesn't work like our missing fonts plugin. On opening an InDesign document, our plugin will look for fonts used within the document that are currently not available. It will then automatically install those missing fonts if MainType knows about them. Nexus has no plugins and can't help you with missing fonts.

I don't know what you think Nexus does better, as both Nexus and MainType allow you to install fonts, so they become available to all your other software.

What Nexus does, is automatically activating all fonts listed in Nexus, so they become available (in our terminology they are all loaded). In our opinion this is a huge design flaw, but we are aware that some people actually like this. When you select a folder with over 10.000 fonts in Nexus, it takes over an hour before it becomes responsive, and then all those fonts have been activated, which is cluttering your font lists in your word processing applications. This is really bad; and when I selected another folder with only two fonts, it took another hour to unload the 10K fonts :shock: From what I remember the font thing also had this problem. With only a dozen fonts in a folder this might seem to work just fine, but most people start using a font manager because they have way more fonts.

If you want to activate fonts with MainType, you're just one click away from it. Just click the Install button at the top of the groups panel, and it will activate all listed fonts. So even without the plugin, fonts installed with MainType will become available to all your other software, including Illustrator.
MainTypeGroup2.png
MainTypeGroup2.png (100.52 KiB) Viewed 11588 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Agree with "Erwin". have been using fonthandling softwares since the first Suitcase for Apple was released. Changed to Windows year 2000 and had to change fonthandler (ATM), worked very well for many years. 2010 changed to "NEXUS" because minimizing the business (1 man) but 2-3 years agoo something happend to NEXUS (or the Windows update affected NEXUS) which they weren't able to follow up. I use the fonthandler very professional so I had to look for a new again... tested some (no names) with auto load extensions to, but was all bad. I have never trusted this function and do not now.
For me workes perfect to just search and load the missing fonts amediately. Smooth, fast and secure! For a business where you have new fonts/customers everyday like a service bureau I can understand some benefit, but as I always done with a new customer I create a folder for them in the fonthandler and activate when starting project and deactivate when finnished. In that way I keep the activated fonts limited and the lists in order. No problems with the fonts or any conflicts.