lower case and upper case

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
amalea

lower case and upper case

Post by amalea »

when im making a font I use both upper case and lower case letters.

How do I accuretly size my fonts so that my lower case letters are not the same size as the upper case letters, but at the same time all be consistant with eachother.

For example i dont want my lower case Q to be shorter then my lower case P.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It sounds like you should first take a good look at the typography tutorials and Anatomy of a Letterform at Point Central Typography.

You can drag horizontal guidelines from the ruler bar to maintain consistent x-height, but there are other important things to keep consistent too, such as stroke weight and serif shape.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
amalea

Post by amalea »

Well I have made font in the past.

http://www.the-design-trade.com/visitor/cat.php?cat=256

I only want to kno how in the high logic font program that I bought this week I can keep my lower case letters a consistant size.

Thanks for the links ill book mark them.

Do you know how to change the ruler bar to maintain a consistant x-height in the program? That would be a great help, thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

:? I don't know how else I can put it more simply: “You can drag horizontal guidelines from the ruler bar to maintain consistent x-height.” Then you can check that all your lowercase letters are the same x-height and resize them as necessary. Another guideline to check the Caps-height, and one for the descender. Have perhaps turned off the display of guidelines by mistake?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
amalea

Post by amalea »

ah i see!

One more question and it will be my last i promise!

Is there a way to make my letters the same thinkness as all the other ones?

See today i was fussing with fonts and making a new one and one thing I found extremly difficult was trying to keep my letters the same weight. for example the T will be lighter or thinner in boldness then my n.

Is there a way to adjust the thickness of a font through the program or is that more corel draw or illustrators job?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Glyph Transform Wizard can be used to change the weight of an entire font or selected glyphs. The measurement tool (next to the selection tools) can be used to manually measure the width of a stroke. Control + Lef/right cursor key can be used to make single funit adjustements to selected nodes or selected contours.
amalea

Post by amalea »

ah great thanks so much for your time in replying i really appreciate it!