Newbish question here:

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Spasty

Newbish question here:

Post by Spasty »

Alright, here is my question, even though it is rather newbish. I have answered a small bit of my question already my reading the help manual (it was what are the little red dots) but now my quesion is: What are warning points for? I don't quite understand why they are there. I also know they cause some sort of problem. My other newbish question is how do you get rid of them?
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi Spasty.. welcome to the Font Creator forum.

One of the most important functions provided by Font Creator is the Font Validation Wizard (Font/Validate) which applies a few rules to each point in each glyph to determine if there could be design problems. As noted in the menu:
"This wizard identifies common potential problems and is able to fix almost all detected problems. However not all detected problems are in fact errors, you have to decide whether you want to fix a problem or not."
A list of all problems is shown. You can edit each glyph (double click or right click/Edit) by moving, deleting, or adding points until the problem goes away or you get tired of the busy work and you decide the problem is an error you can live with.

The red dots or the red x's indicate the location of some of the problems. Some errors ae not represented by red dots. Sometimes the red points are hidden behind other points. All problems are noted on the individual Glyph Validation Report (select Red Not Exclamation button) when you are editing a character.

It's too hard to describe the action to take on each type of error, so you should "conduct the research yourself", i.e., play around. Make a copy of any font and see if you can modify the points to eliminate all detected errors. You'll find it's easy and fun !!

Getting the message "Congratulations. No problems were found." after a Font Validaton report is run signals the successful end to this exercise. (It can still be an ugly font of course!).

The goal is to end up with a font that is structurally clean. At one level, it is simply a more professional product if there are no
"duplicate components, empty components, duplicate contours, contours with one or two points, off-curve extreme coordinates, redundant points, duplicate knots, intersecting coordinates or contours with incorrect direction."(2nd page of the Font Validation Wizard menu.)

Good luck.

Dick Pape