Feature request: Font activation for Quark Xpress 2017

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Wörn

Feature request: Font activation for Quark Xpress 2017

Post by Wörn »

Thank you for this very useful, quick and straight forward font manager. Much appreciated.
BUT there is one feature which doesn't seem to function for Quark Xpress 2017. When I activate fonts in MainType they are not shown in the font list of QX17 until I restart QX. Very unhandy :mrgreen: ! This used to work for QX 2016. Will there be a font handler for it as it exists for Indesign?
regards, Wörn
Erwin Denissen

Re: Feature request: Font activation for Quark Xpress 2017

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This seems like a bug in Quark Xpress 2017. Did you contact them or went to their forums to see if other people have similar issues with Quark Xpress 2017?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hello Erwin,

I am using a different FM these days. But with that FM installing as a temp installed font (what I always do), fonts are immediately available in QXP 2017 (and previous versions back to QXP 9 which is the oldest version I have installed).

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Then I’m sure MainType works as well fine on your system.

What do we need to do to get you back?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hi Erwin,

Quicker previews as I scroll. Previews of certain complex "grunge" fonts where a preview cannot be built in MT but can in the other FM. Even when some of these more complex fonts do obtain a preview, scrolling through them is painful. "Lighter" system weight. Database that doesn't eat itself once in a while where the only resolution is to basically start over with a fresh installation. Better way of dealing with removing fonts from the database--which to me as a font maker is important. Ignoring fonts and leaving them in the database is something I don't like to deal with and can just eat disk space. I want them gone. There are likely other things, too.

All that said, the one I am using is technically not abandoned, but no updates have been issued for a couple years. Sooner or later a Windows update will likely break it. I absolutely dislike Suitcase. So either I'll be back at somepoint or another that works as easily for my purposes will come along. Seems like new ones are cropping up each year that I haven't tried.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 pm This seems like a bug in Quark Xpress 2017. Did you contact them or went to their forums to see if other people have similar issues with Quark Xpress 2017?
OK. I am trialing MT and wanted to have a look at how QXP 2017 deals with (or not) loaded fonts. Only I couldn't because of exceeding the font limit in my user folder. I'll probably delete the present user folder and copy a few of the fonts into another folder and then latch onto it just to test this. Probably. But not during these few minutes I set aside to so.

I did notice a few things. In the FM I do use, if I exit it the serive used to activate fonts is also unloaded. And is automatically reloaded if/when I start it up...but I do usually just leave it running during the computer up time. It would be nice if MT did this as well. I prefer applications to start/stop when I desire it.

Also, with the setting to minimize to the system tray, simply clicking on its systray icon only restores it minimized to the taskbar. I then still need to restore it to use. It would be better in my opinion if MT opened from the systray visiable on-screen according to its user state (maximized or just sized).

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm curious if you still think a plugin is needed, or if the font activation features in MainType (e.g. install and load fonts) is sufficient?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology