Put Backups on a Network Drive

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Lt. Kernal

Put Backups on a Network Drive

Post by Lt. Kernal »

Hello,
I searched a bit through the forums for the request/enhancement and I did not find it, so I thought I would suggest it.

When creating backups, please consider allowing users to select network folder destinations so I can backup to my NAS. Currently this is not allowed. Even when I have mapped a drive letter to a network folder, none of those drive letters are available under "This PC" (Windows 10).

If this is indeed possible and I am doing something wrong, please educate me!

Thanks.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Put Backups on a Network Drive

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The current architecture of our font management solution doesn't allow this, so make the backup local, and then copy it to your network folder.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Lt. Kernal

Post by Lt. Kernal »

Thanks Erwin,
That is exactly what I do now, but I am always looking to software to solve my laziness. :)

Speaking of which, Here's another idea: What if MainType would have one back up for everything?
In other words, when a user backs up, not only does it back up the Font Vault, but also the Tags, the Ratings, the Layout, etc.
In short, every specialized setting at once. And if you could set the back up to occur once per day upon closing the software (like how Adobe Ligthroom does), that would be the ultimate gift to users who don't want to be diligent all the time :D

Thanks for listening!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Lt. Kernal wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 pmWhat if MainType would have one back up for everything?
In other words, when a user backs up, not only does it back up the Font Vault, but also the Tags, the Ratings, the Layout, etc.
It already does that, if I am not mistaken.

I recommend compressing the backups with 7-Zip before moving them to DropBox or external media. They compress very well.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Lt. Kernal

Post by Lt. Kernal »

Bhikkhu,
Thanks for enlightening me on what gets backed up when you use the back up feature. I thought I had to do each thing separately. I guess I would have discovered that if I had to recover from a back-up.