Custom Columns, Notes & Sub-Categories

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
8806883@gmail.com

Custom Columns, Notes & Sub-Categories

Post by 8806883@gmail.com »

It would be great if we could have some custom columns and a notes section (multiple columns - I can imagine up to 5 that I would utilize). I would use the custom column to be able to type in things that I want for every font that have so many different answers that tagging isn't feasible so as not to clutter my tagging list. ie: designer; website; licensing; if it was free, paid, subscription; etc. It would be great if anything typed in popped up to choose from so as not to duplicate with different terms because of not remembering the original format.
Then I could sort by these columns as well. Would it also be possible to create a search function based on data in the columns? Maybe at the column header?

The notes would be nice to be able to list other fonts it pairs well with or just various information.

Subcategories is just that - I have tags that represent the "mood" or "category" of a font. It would be nice to be able to drill down with sub-categories if a specific "mood" is more of an umbrella - ie: I have Dingbats as a category, but then I also have Dingbats:Animals, Dingbats:Holiday, Dingbats:Food, etc. I also have a category to describe the font as Holiday (if it would be suited for a holiday-themed project). From there I have Holiday:Christmas, Holiday:Halloween and so forth. I would envision the subcategories indented underneath the main category and possibly a box to check to tell it its a subcategory of, and then choose from a dropdown box (this is how it works in other software I have, namely Quickbooks, and it creates a very clean looking and manageable list).

With all that being said, I love your program and recommend it all the time to people asking for ways to sort their fonts. Thanks for a great software!
Erwin Denissen

Re: Custom Columns, Notes & Sub-Categories

Post by Erwin Denissen »

8806883@gmail.com wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm It would be great if we could have some custom columns and a notes section (multiple columns - I can imagine up to 5 that I would utilize). I would use the custom column to be able to type in things that I want for every font that have so many different answers that tagging isn't feasible so as not to clutter my tagging list. ie: designer; website; licensing; if it was free, paid, subscription; etc. It would be great if anything typed in popped up to choose from so as not to duplicate with different terms because of not remembering the original format.
Then I could sort by these columns as well. Would it also be possible to create a search function based on data in the columns? Maybe at the column header?

The notes would be nice to be able to list other fonts it pairs well with or just various information.
We will probably add notes, but we are not sure if we want to add more user data.
8806883@gmail.com wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm Subcategories is just that - I have tags that represent the "mood" or "category" of a font. It would be nice to be able to drill down with sub-categories if a specific "mood" is more of an umbrella - ie: I have Dingbats as a category, but then I also have Dingbats:Animals, Dingbats:Holiday, Dingbats:Food, etc. I also have a category to describe the font as Holiday (if it would be suited for a holiday-themed project). From there I have Holiday:Christmas, Holiday:Halloween and so forth. I would envision the subcategories indented underneath the main category and possibly a box to check to tell it its a subcategory of, and then choose from a dropdown box (this is how it works in other software I have, namely Quickbooks, and it creates a very clean looking and manageable list).
MainType comes with tags, groups, and custom views. Adding more would make it more complex.
8806883@gmail.com wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm With all that being said, I love your program and recommend it all the time to people asking for ways to sort their fonts. Thanks for a great software!
Thank you. That is good to know! Believe it or not, but there are still people who never heard of our font manager, while it has been around for more than 15 years.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: Custom Columns, Notes & Sub-Categories

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have just released MainType 10, which allows you to add a custom note to your fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology