Can I print 12 characters/row as in the view?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Way Kyi

Can I print 12 characters/row as in the view?

Post by Way Kyi »

I installed Free Maintype, played around and printed a page with characters including codepage & names. But I can't see to find adjustment to numbers of characters on a row. It printed with default 17 char/row. Which is too small for some characters to see. I want them to be printed out as in view ( see image ), 12 char/row with 30 Points. The print isn't helpful for me like Google Font view and print.Image
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Can I print 12 characters/row as in the view?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't see any way to edit the print style sheets, but you can simply enlarge the cells by printing on larger paper.

Test by printing to a PDF printer such as Microsoft Print to PDF. If printing to A4 Landscape does not increase the font cell size enough (1.414%) then print to Tabloid landscape, then open the PDF file in Adobe Reader and print it from there, tiling the large pages to fit your printer's paper size.

Personally, I think printing to paper is a waste of time and money these days. Just print to PDF and zoom in.

Myanmar glyphs are inevitably going to smaller within the character cell than the characters from Roman or Cyrillic scripts.
Attachments
Odana Character Set.pdf
(781.71 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Way Kyi

Post by Way Kyi »

Thank for your suggestion. I did print out at A3 size and guess what happened? The row print 25 Chars for Portrait and 37 chars for Landscape. It is so important for me that I see code point and glyph on paper, so that I can write features from the paper instead of switching windows. So, this is no deal for me. But wait, if they can create the display view with 12 chars/row, how come they can't print the view and take control of the print from me here and left me with no option? Not a good UI. Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Print to A5 Page size using a PDF Printer.

Open in your PDF Viewer and print it again, scaled to fit the paper.
Attachments
Odana Character Set Scaled.pdf
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Way Kyi

Post by Way Kyi »

That works like a charm. Thank you very much. Still, MainType should have more options in Printing since it is for View & Print for fonts, isn't it. The work-around is a bit work and testing the settings in the actual print. I still prefer these options given at the Print Section in Maintype instead of work-around which is extra works for even one font. Even more, if I can set the frame, codepoint, name and glyph colors individually that would be perfect. Now back to the point, who is going to think smart like you :)? Not me. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Way Kyi on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.