Getting started

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
phylc

Getting started

Post by phylc »

Where can I find STEP by Step instructions on installing the program, how to save my fonts, how to install fonts already on the computer. I am not tech-savvy and really need a "walk-through" set of directions- none of which I can find.
I currently have thousands of fonts that I use in photoshop. I want to be sure I will not lose them as I do the "transfer"- I need to know if I need a separate drive (portable)- or just a separate folder. Do I download Main Type to my programs folder? How and when do I delete the fonts that are now in my fonts folder? Isn't there a simple guide for dummies and older people? I really want to buy this program but I'm not sure I will set it up correctly and I DON'T want to lose my existing fonts.
Thanks for your understanding,
PC
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Getting started

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You install MainType to the C:\Program Files\ folder.
MainType adds all of your fonts to a database. It won't delete any fonts permanently unless you confirm it.
The database (font vault) is created when you first launch MainType. Once that is done, you can manage your fonts by adding them to various groups, tagging them, etc. None of this deletes or moves any fonts, it just like adding filters to a database. The entire font vault can be backed up to external media, then you recover your fonts in the event of a hard drive failure. The font vault may be a few Gigabytes if you have thousands of fonts. It is worthwhile compressing it to 1/3 of the size with 7-Zip for backing up to USB sticks. The font vault is uncompressed to make it faster to access by MainType.

You can use the free version (limited to 2,500 fonts) to see if it suits your needs before upgrading. It comes with a PDF manual. The same information is also available in the online help file.

You can find Some Video Tutorials for MainType 10. I haven't got around to updating them for the latest version.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486