Merging two glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
elipsett

Merging two glyphs

Post by elipsett »

I need to create a font full of graphic symbols. I'm using a standard Latin font as the basis, but every keyboard letter corresponds to a symbol.

I need a way to combine, for example, the symbol for A with the symbol for B. For ease of discussion, assume that symbol A is a circle, and symbol B is a dot. When they are combined, the result is a circle with the dot in the middle. Symbol A and symbol B are created with the same bounding box and center point, so it is sufficient to actually overprint them, if that helps understand the amount of adjustment needed.

I assume this is handled with pair adjustment, but it is extremely unclear if that is the right approach, and how to implement it if it is the right approach.
I have been using FontCreator to create non-Unicode glyphs for CJK languages for many years, but these are usually single glyphs in an otherwise empty font. I am not familiar with using FontCreator functions like kerning, pair adjustment, scripts, etc., and I'll probably need to be led by the hand.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Merging two glyphs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Do you want the dot to overlay the circle when you type A followed by B?

In that case, design B like a diacritical mark with zero advance width and a negative left side-bearing.

If you want a third glyph — a circle with a dot — when you type C, then create C as a composite glyph, with components A and B.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

> Do you want the dot to overlay the circle when you type A followed by B?

That would be the easiest solution.

> In that case, design B like a diacritical mark with zero advance width and a negative left side-bearing.

Thank you. This seems reasonable.
I will attempt to figure out how to do that from the documentation.
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

This does not appear to work.

I need base 1 (circle) to exist by itself, as 1A (circle with mark A), as 1B (circle with mark B), etc. Likewise, I need a base glyph 2 (square) for 2 by itself, 2A, 2B, etc.

So the following pairs need to be defined:
1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.

I have defined a MarkPositioning script under Scripts/Latin/Default
I have a list of Base items 1 and 2
I was able to specify 1A, but when I attempt to specify 2A it says “This mark glyph/group already exists.”
However, the displayed merged glyphs for both 1A and 2A correctly overlaid.
I then tried to create 1B and it gave me the same error message.
I created a second subtable, and was able to create 1B and 2B, both displaying normally.
Apply and OK.
When I try the font and press 1 and then A, it displays the two characters sequentially. Likewise the other combinations.

So either we misunderstood each other, or I’m doing something wrong.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you want a third glyph — a circle with a dot — when you type C, then create C as a composite glyph, with components A and B.
Look at any standard font to see how diacritics work with base glyph A, and accented versions: Á À Ä Ã Å Â etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

If my understanding is correct, a composite glyph is a new glyph, in the font, created by combining two elements. That new glyph is assigned to a new codespace in the font.

I need a lot of glyphs, and if there is some way to make a bunch of bases, and separately a bunch other modifying glyphs, and be able to combine them through keyboard input, then I only have to create 1, 2, A, B, C = five glyphs, instead of 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C = six glyphs. And I have a lot more than just 1, 2, A, B, and C.
If I have, for example, 10 letters and 10 numbers, then with composite fonts I would need I believe, 120 glyphs (root forms + composites). If they can be mixed on the fly, then I only need 20.

Is there any way to do this?