Using Variable Fonts in other software

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Glyphman

Using Variable Fonts in other software

Post by Glyphman »

(Just upgraded to ver 14 so I can make "Variable Fonts")
Hi, sorry if this subject is not directly related to FontCreator, but I am happy if someone can explain... or help me with a comment for this issue.
I am a webdesigner and active in another forum for the software I use for producing webpages. This software is wysiwyg and html generator, NOT html editor (which means the html code doesn't exist until the project is publisched). The support and developers are very serviceminded and open for updating the software frequently and I suggested back in 2018 that they should implement fonthandling for variable fonts. I thought this would be possible because the programming is CSS related, just like @font-face handling that it handles with a tool.

The answer I get from the developer is:
"Unfortunately, this functionality is not (yet) available for developers outside Microsoft.
But as soon as it's available, it will probably be added to WWB.

Microsoft's documentation (from 2019) states that it will be available in richedit 9.0.
However, until now this version has not been released officially. The current version in Windows 10, is richedit v8.5

More information:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archiv ... -additions

I followed up the post from 2018 today and got the same answer...

If any of you "FontProos" in this forum have a good comment I can bring to the developers in the other forum, I will be more than satisfyed :D
Erwin Denissen

Re: Using Variable Fonts in other software

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am sorry, but that area is out of our league. We do provide the Web Font test page which supports variable fonts. Maybe someone else can step in.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Re: Using Variable Fonts in other software

Post by Glyphman »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 pm I am sorry, but that area is out of our league. We do provide the Web Font test page which supports variable fonts. Maybe someone else can step in.
Tnx Erwin. We will see if someone have an idea. Meanwhile I will searching the net :D