Composition modes

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
ShawnDion

Composition modes

Post by ShawnDion »

Just wondering as I am working on optimizing my post about how to make near perfect renderings of COLR fonts I have a new technique in mind however it requires 1 of the following options (Maybe already existing not sure)

One either Compositing modes from https://www.w3.org/TR/compositing-1/ looking specifically for COMPOSITE_SCREEN or
Two how to use SVG's with Blend mode that does the same as screen mode or multiply (Screen for RGB, Multiply for CMYK)

I been searching for a example font with this condition and none have the specifications if I can get this to work we can create COLR fonts with a max of 32 layers for 16 million colours + transparency.

I've tried different font de-compilers to attempt to get the location value to force the condition but in vain.

Shawn Dion
Erwin Denissen

Re: Composition modes

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I think multiple transparent color layers are combined using the multiply blend mode.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ShawnDion

Post by ShawnDion »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:35 pm I think multiple transparent color layers are combined using the multiply blend mode.
Thanks for the quick response.

I had tried that beforehand (with the transparency) I know for COLRv1 it exists the screen option unfortunately I couldn't find a code example that contains the main key setting to define the layer. Reason why is that if we use bitwise aka split images based on their bit value we can make full color svg or COLR glyphs from a raster to vector and that includes transparency so 32 layers at most instead of my crazy previous design of 256 color layers. I'll figure it out and share my results. I'll go look for some code to manually create a ttf colrv1 compatible the specs are there but considering after 8 years of my original one google finally started producing colr fonts High-Logic was way in advance for it's time and with the new COLRv1 standards I think there is a brighter future in the way fonts will become more interactive and flexible.

But like anything else new technology we always have delays now I'm impressed how browsers are more compatible (I retried the social fonts page and it was quite more responsive than years ago)

I'll keep you posted.

Shawn Dion
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is good to know FontCreator currently does not support colrv1, only colrv0.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ShawnDion

Post by ShawnDion »

Ah indeed that would explain why I couldn't find the field when processing the TrueType which is fine.. I'll still make the files to explain the idea behind it maybe it will be of use to you should you decide to implement COLRv1 at one point.

I'll setup a github to share the results.

Shawn Dion
ShawnDion

Post by ShawnDion »

This is what I was trying to explain with the screen Composition mode each frame ex:128 is the 8 bit location as for 24 layers (32 if you want transparency) instead of attempting to add too many layers and being capped at the total glyph that can be used.

As i'm almost done rebuilding a tool that takes a image and splits it to it's binary value and with a square png2svg vector tool the files created can be stacked with COLRv1 screen mode to make the complete image in full colour. Is there a purpose for this besides being able to do so I do not know is it a technique to be able to reduce total size of a svg glyph absolutely.

What's interesting is if you print all 24 images onto transparency paper you will have a 3 Dimensional height map of your image.

Shawn Dion