Update Wiped Out Tags and Views

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Kscearce

Update Wiped Out Tags and Views

Post by Kscearce »

I just did the auto update from within my licensed copy of the software. ALL of my tags and custom views are gone. Is there a way to get them back???
Kathi
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Update Wiped Out Tags and Views

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you back up your tags?

If not, try a system restore, then do the backups.

Tags should not be wiped out by an update. I wonder what happened? What is your Windows version?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Kscearce

Post by Kscearce »

I'm using Win 11. Didn't backup my tags, because I was an ASSuming that it wouldn't overwrite everything. :oops: :evil:

When you say system restore, do you mean restore to point prior to updating the software? That's not something I can do. I always mess up those kind of things and spend hours fixing stuff.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't think the tags are lost, but I think our software is in some endless loop. To further look into this, I ask you to force a crash within the font service, which will generate a stack trace of the current state of the software.

To let the font service crash, do add a new group with this specific name:

Crash2019

After you've done it, the group won't be added, and the font service needs to be restarted (through FmsConfig).

You will find the error report in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\High-Logic\Errors

Looking forward to the results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Kscearce

Post by Kscearce »

I created the group per your instructions, and as you indicated, it wasn't added. I opened the font service, closed the software then restarted the service. The tags are still missing.
TagManager.png
TagManager.png (47.74 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
I did a screenshot of the errors folder and opened the file in notepad. For some reason the other file is using a video format, which is bizarre as I haven't messed with the data other than looking at it and doing a screenshot.
HighLogic Error Log.png
HighLogic Error Log.png (40.49 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

I also looked at the vault folders in the program data, and the file size of the data for my fonts seems reasonable in size given the number of fonts I have. I'm a hoarder of free fonts that are available with commercial licenses, which is what a lot of my tags were as they identified what were free fonts and licensed to use, and from where. I also listed paid fonts, and I had organized them based on my personal identification structure in terms of what was script, sans, and serif variations when creating my graphics. I'd been tagging things slowly over time, and was about halfway through the 13k+ fonts. The thought of having to redo all that work is mind-numbing.
FontData Folder.png
FontData Folder.png (80.75 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
Please let me know what other info you might need to help me resolve the tags. My layouts are also gone, and I didn't back those up either. However, brain freeze defrosting here as I remembered I have a new laptop and had transferred everything over, but I'm going to see if the old laptop has the tags and layouts. If I find them, I'll back up and restore on the new laptop But I'll wait until you reply with further instructions. Thanks for your patience, I'm in the midst of client work that keeps me hopping. Kathi
Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:21 am I don't think the tags are lost, but I think our software is in some endless loop. To further look into this, I ask you to force a crash within the font service, which will generate a stack trace of the current state of the software.

To let the font service crash, do add a new group with this specific name:

Crash2019

After you've done it, the group won't be added, and the font service needs to be restarted (through FmsConfig).

You will find the error report in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\High-Logic\Errors

Looking forward to the results.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Kscearce wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:01 am Please let me know what other info you might need to help me resolve the tags. My layouts are also gone, and I didn't back those up either. However, brain freeze defrosting here as I remembered I have a new laptop and had transferred everything over, but I'm going to see if the old laptop has the tags and layouts. If I find them, I'll back up and restore on the new laptop But I'll wait until you reply with further instructions. Thanks for your patience, I'm in the midst of client work that keeps me hopping. Kathi
I have received the error report, but nothing indicates problems, so I am puzzled.

Did you install MainType on a new computer or did you run the upgrade on a computer that already had MainType installed with the groups and tags?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology