variable (1)

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
af209

variable (1)

Post by af209 »

i was try for variable font.

the tutorial aren't really clear, so i recommend to update with a videos from scratch not by explore or try with other fonts. because it will make confuse

i need to make a revision from that later, so there is available improvement for junior. that's just a text with not clear direction.

my question is, are variable convert the all weight? so from extra thin to black.

because i was try the variable font export, the file ended up with only my own two weight (regular & bold).

so please correct me, variable can't convert weight right?

so, when create a variable i need to have all weight before convert to variable. are im right?
Erwin Denissen

Re: variable (1)

Post by Erwin Denissen »

af209 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:54 pm i was try for variable font.

the tutorial aren't really clear, so i recommend to update with a videos from scratch not by explore or try with other fonts. because it will make confuse
I assume you refer to this tutorial:
How to Make a Variable Font

Please let us know what part is not clear, so we can make it better.
af209 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:54 pm so please correct me, variable can't convert weight right?

so, when create a variable i need to have all weight before convert to variable. are im right?
If things were really that easy that you could turn a non-variable font into a variable font with just a couple of clicks, then we would only see variable fonts. Sure FontCreator can help you, but in the end you will have to manually inspect and adjust your glyph outlines.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
af209

Post by af209 »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:23 pmIf things were really that easy that you could turn a non-variable font into a variable font with just a couple of clicks, then we would only see variable fonts. Sure, FontCreator can help you, but in the end you will have to manually inspect and adjust your glyph outlines.
Sorry, so variable fonts can't turn my all weight automatically, right? What I know before, is variable technology will turn all the weight. While we only have 2 master (regular & bold). So, what I mean is variable will make all weight after use that technology by using 2 bold. So from this I'm wrong, right?
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

af209 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:33 pm
Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:23 pmIf things were really that easy that you could turn a non-variable font into a variable font with just a couple of clicks, then we would only see variable fonts. Sure, FontCreator can help you, but in the end you will have to manually inspect and adjust your glyph outlines.
Sorry, so variable fonts can't turn my all weight automatically, right? What I know before, is variable technology will turn all the weight. While we only have 2 master (regular & bold). So, what I mean is variable will make all weight after use that technology by using 2 bold. So from this I'm wrong, right?
I honestly don't know what you are trying to say. FontCreator has all the tools you need to make a variable font, as explained in the tutorial and in the user manual.

We also have a playground with a freely available variable font (Whistle) with both a weight and a slant axis. It comes with a single character, but you can freely use it as a start for your own fonts.

Please let me know your specific question, so I can further help you.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
af209

Post by af209 »

Please let us know what part is not clear, so we can make it better.

why not clear?

start from this step:
1. Weight Axis
2.Bold Master

"Note: At this point you probably notice several glyphs in the Font Overview panel suddenly have a red background header"

this is not clear, you can try it yourself. there is nothing happen unless you go to master tab and click the toolbar add

"it this point we already have a variable font. Well, done!". people won't will go this part until they do what i do.

there is no clear tutorial untill i found it myself,

i really can't remember since im focus on another discipline, i also really forget how to update the axis value. so you need to make a simple videos from scracth. you know, make a videos maybe just a minute for the owner. i know you've more task.but since im buy your software the support & article are not really clear also is out of my expectation.

why?
1. no videos, your youtube maybe outdated.
2. maybe you think some article still relevant, but you need to update it to more simple with clear visual hierarchy. as a designer, im not really comfortable to read since the hierarchy using old style and not really clear direction. i just have no option to buy glyhps app since im windows.

this is just my opinion as a designer customer
af209

Post by af209 »

I honestly don't know what you are trying to say. FontCreator has all the tools you need to make a variable font, as explained in the tutorial and in the user manual.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (34.83 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
you can see there right?. after using variable technology, the output only my both master. regular & bold.what i think before is after using variable technology will create output another font file including extra thin to black.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

af209 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 pm "Note: At this point you probably notice several glyphs in the Font Overview panel suddenly have a red background header"

this is not clear, you can try it yourself. there is nothing happen unless you go to master tab and click the toolbar add
It clearly tells you to first add the Bold master, and afterwards you will notice the red headers.
af209 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 pm 1. no videos, your youtube maybe outdated.
Yes, you are right about this; we definitely need to make more videos.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology