Subs and Supercripts in text and graphic software

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Ldarro

Subs and Supercripts in text and graphic software

Post by Ldarro »

Hello, dear friends!

Perhaps I don't fully understand the principle of using features such as super- and subscriptions.

Should it happen that when I enable the Superscript or Subscript option for selected text in third-party software, the selected characters do not just rise and decrease, but are replaced with those glyphs that are specified in Superscript or Subscript features?

The fact is that I don't see this either in Word, Photoshop, or Illustrator - not only with my fonts, but also with such as, for example, Myriad Pro.

Is there a solution for this? If there are features in the OpenType Superscript or Subscript font with the corresponding vultures or adjustments, how to make sure that they are selected, and not the banal reduced and raised source characters.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Subs and Supercripts in text and graphic software

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See the Microsoft Typography pages to learn how OpenType features are supposed to work.
Not all software supports all OpenType features, even if the font includes them.

The font designer should add the glyphs to the font, then add the OpenType feature to enable them. If the software supports them, then the feature usually needs to be enabled in the software. Some features, like Standard Ligatures and kerning, are often enabled by default so the user has to do nothing.

True Superscripts

¹²³ 123 True superscripts are not just raised and scaled versions of the standard figures, made bolder by the software, which is what most software will do. The font designer creates specific Unicode Superscripts that are bolder, scaled, and raised as intended to suit the Typeface. Myriad Pro is ancient; I don't have it on my Windows 10 system. It probably doesn't have such features, unless you have an updated version.

MainType 11
You can install the free version to check out your fonts. This is my own font, Kabala.
Kabala Regular.png
Kabala Regular.png (103.22 KiB) Viewed 863 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486