Combining and cutting contours

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
indignant

Combining and cutting contours

Post by indignant »

I have a glyph where I'm trying to make a shape based on the intersection of a set of contours and I can't figure out how to do it. Basically, I have two sets of circular contours (essentially two "O"s) that overlap each other, and I'm trying to split up the intersecting portions into separate contours in order to ultimately merge the segments I want and delete the rest. There's a diagram below: ultimately what I'm trying to get is a shape that includes the green segments and deletes the red ones (so two concentric contours, each shaped like a circle with a round portion cut out of one side). If I can do that in one step, great, but I'm also fine with cutting all the overlaps into their own segments and then manually merging the ones I want to keep.

I admit I'm very rusty with FontCreator. I tried Split Self-Intersecting, Join Contours, and Cut Contours, and none of them seemed to do what I was looking for. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
contours.png
contours.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Combining and cutting contours

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I hope other people have a better way, but here is what I would do:

Make a copy of the glyph.

In one glyph perform Exclusion, and delete the parts that you don't need.

In the other glyph perform Intersection and copies and paste the remaining outlines to the other glyph.

From there select two adjacent contours and join them. Continue to do this until you have the final result.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: Combining and cutting contours

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I wonder if my suggestions allowed you to accomplish your goal.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology