How to design font properly?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
BParkoff

How to design font properly?

Post by BParkoff »

Hi,

Will you please explain how do I design four contours of vertical rectangle on the grid correctly?

For example, first vertical rectangle is positioned at (100, 0) and second vertical rectangle is positioned at (800, 0). Both of them have height 1000 units and width 100 units. Both left side bearing and right side bearing have 100 units and advance width has 1,000 units.

I opened “Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)” dialog. I tested by changing the font size from 10 to 48 points. Both vertical rectangles should have equal width units or thickness. While changing the font size, either left vertical rectangle or right vertical rectangle show thin or thick.

You did suggest me to use hinting. I don't understand how to use it properly.

If I want thin width of vertical rectangle, I will set it to 25 units or 50 units. How will units be translated to pixel when displaying font to the screen?

Please forgive me if I have posted similar topic earlier, but I want to make sure I understand how font designer software work before I will buy FontCreator.

Thank you for understanding this.

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff