[FIXED] Export/Install font hangs

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Export/Install font hangs

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am able to reproduce the problem, but since we use a standard Windows control, we can't do anything about it.

We could replace the component with a RichEdit based one, but that might cause other problems as it allows you to paste formatted text.

We recommend to use the Test Web Font, as it is also way better with complex scripts like Arabic.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

Thanks for your reply and explanation.
I can live with this OK.
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

Erwin
You will probably remember that I am using an unofficial release of FontCreator Professional (Version 15.0.0.2985 (64-bit)), and that I said I would report any problems that arose.

I've been doing a lot of glyph editing and sometimes it goes wrong. I'm not sure what sequence of actions causes the problem, but I can explain what I'm doing and try to describe the effect. It doesn't happen every single time, however.

With the Preview panel monitoring what I'm doing...
I open a glyph for editing.
Using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, I superimpose another glyph for comparison and matching parts.
I use the mouse to move contours by the control points.
I may move selected groups of contours together, and create or delete points. I also use the "Optimise Contours" feature.
I might move the superimposed glyph. Eventually, I intend to remove it.
I frequently switch between contour mode and point mode.

When it goes wrong, there is a duplicate of the superimposed glyph shown in the editing window that does not appear in the preview.
The name shown on the tab changes to the name of the superimposed glyph, though I'm not sure whether that happens every time.
On one occasion, the editing window appeared to have a fragment of a previous edit to a different glyph.

I've been able to recover by closing the tab, and if necessary, using Ctrl-Z to return to a previous state.

As I'm using an unofficial development version, I was ready for problems, but I regard it as a privilege.
I hope these notes are helpful.

Regards
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe you have more than one glyph in the Glyph panel? This can be accomplished with the Text tool, but there are also some other ways. It is sometimes very convenient to have more than one glyph in the Glyph panel. While you can only edit one at a time, you can easily switch between glyphs by clicking an inactive one. Maybe this is what happened?

Another thing that might have happened is that you have used a Mask, but I think that is unlikely as it does not fully match what you described.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

I'm not completely sure that explains what happened.

Suppose it happens again and I immediately save the project file; would you like me to send it to you?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Sure, that would be great.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

I can now easily reproduce what seems to be a strange state. I think if I continued to work with it, it would get worse.
I opened the 'z' glyph and superimposed on it the 'a' glyph. That works every time.
I double-clicked a red contour to produce what is shown on the full-screen screenshot.
Full screen Screenshot for High-Logic.jpg
Full screen Screenshot for High-Logic.jpg (336.94 KiB) Viewed 326 times
I saved the project file, but when I re-opened it, FontCreator had returned to normal.

Looking at the full-screen screenshot, the tab shows 'a' instead of 'z', which I wouldn't expect.
The 'a' glyph with the control points shown does not appear in the Preview panel.

The small screenshot shows part of the 'Validation panel'. Both the 'a' glyph and the 'z' glyph appear exactly as I would expect.
Small Screenshot for High-Logic.jpg
Small Screenshot for High-Logic.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 326 times
There doesn't seem to be any point in sending you the project file unless you cannot reproduce this condition.
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

CORRECTION
I didn't mean "Validation Window" - I meant "Font Overview".

(I misread the picture in the Manual's "Getting started" section.)

If you want the software to be idiot-proof, I'm your man, it seems.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't see any problems. You have a character "z" that contains outlines from both "a" and "z" or am I missing something?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bageder

Post by Bageder »

This is all new to me, but three things seemed odd or counter-intuitive.

1. I'm editing the 'z' glyph, but the tab changes to 'a'. I've now discovered why.

2. The first 'a' glyph superimposed on the 'z' shows up in the preview, but the second 'a' doesn't. I now know why.

3. When the project is saved and re-opened, it displays something different. The second 'a' glyph no longer appears. Well, obviously, the editing panel is not saved in the project file. Is that right?

However, I gained a better understanding when I superimposed another glyph, and found that the tab letter changed depending on where I clicked on the image. The ability to edit more than one glyph in the same editing panel was contrary to my expectations (and requirements). Therefore, I must have skimmed over that information in the manual.

Sorry.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I totally understand the Text tool can be confusing, but if you get used to it, it is a very powerful feature.

3. Indeed, that panel is not stored. You open numerous glyph panels and it might be confusing to try to restore them.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology